Old 05-15-19, 11:32 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
In the situation the article describes, I think the driver was likely completely at fault. However, One thing I learned while riding motorcycles (10 years of commuting on one), was that I could make a mistake on the bike...and if it did not kill me, then I considered it a good lesson and determined never to make it again.
I developed a strong survival instinct on the motorcycle and learned many of the cues drivers give when they are about to do something stupid and reckless and I learned to manage my space around those drivers. I try to do the same on the bicycle.
However, sometimes drivers are just too self absorbed, selfish and stupid and their actions will eventually kill someone. Just this morning, on my bicycle commute, I came across two such drivers. On the MUP, at a busy intersection, I always wait on the Walk signal to cross. A person in an SUV pulled up through the crosswalk, intent on turning right. And when the signal changed and I had the Walk signal, she saw traffic coming from her left had cleared and, without ever looking to her right, (where I was waiting on the MUP), she took off. She did "see" me as she roared through the right turn, but I could see that she was never going to look my way and even though I had the Walk signal, there was no way I was going to start through the intersection until she had cleared it.
In another case this morning, I got to enjoy the SUV driver who tries to race ahead of you and then make a right turn directly in front of you, only this time she realized, (or at least thought), that if she made the right turn, I was likely going to broadside her SUV (I wasn't, I had managed to stop)...so she just stopped...thankfully, far enough to the left that, after a few seconds of her just sitting there with her blinker on, I rode by on her right, all the while expecting her to take me out. As I rode by, she did flash me an apologetic wave, in response to my WTH are you doing hand gesture.
Oh well, all in a days ride. I enjoy the ride anyway and consider my time on public roads to be a contest that I win if I get to work and back home safely.