View Single Post
Old 05-18-19, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
I know what you mean.. For me it's just so I have something rather than nothing.
Id like to have a decent basic set to do many things I need and buy a few tools along the way as I need more..
But since the high end park tools is not in my budget and Id like to have something.. id settle for getting a basic set of good quality but lesser priced tools since right now I don't have any shop bike tools.
Sure sure, but at least getting your most used tools as top end as you can get makes the most sense. If you don't change a lot of pedals, then a cheap pedal wrench is probably not going to be so bad and likewise for another tool that is less used. However things like allen keys, a JIS screwdriver and a cable/housing cutter should be of good quality and you can get a decent ones for not a whole lot. The Pedro's L-Wrench set is about $35, a Vessel Megadora JIS screwdriver is about $11 and the Jagwire Housing cutter is about $40. That will get you done with most of the important stuff people do more often. If you have those and probably a good T25 torx key you can do quite a bit of normal maintenance. Depending on my chain situation I may get a good chain tool or a masterlink plyers (Wolf Tooth comes to mind as they are portable, good quality and store master links in them) but for most basic stuff the three tools will generally get you by fairly well.
Likes For veganbikes: