Old 05-19-19, 02:14 PM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
Something else to consider. When doing quick repairs or adjustments on the road getting a tool that doesn’t consist of a bunch of tiny pieces that will get dropped and lost easily.
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I had wondered if Park was considered better than Pedro's or vice versa. I suspect after a certain level it's all basically the same since few-to-none of the tools we use are actually subject to super punishment or anything.

M.
Originally Posted by sweeks
I picked up a set of "Fix-It-Sticks" at InterBike a couple years ago. I like the ability to interchange the hex bits so I can have all the ones I need.

On my folding commuter bike, a Tern, I carry a "Tern Tool", which has everything I need for normal maintenance.

For my bikes that use removable master links, I have a Wolf Tooth master link pliers with storage space for an extra link. I didn't actually *need* this tool, but I liked the design and construction.
Originally Posted by daoswald
I have a Topeak 18 for my commuter/hybrid, and a Topeak 9 for my road bike. Both are good for on-the-road fixes but I wouldn't ever consider pulling them out of my saddle bag in the garage to do real work. I have real tools for when I'm at home. I also owned a Topeak Alien II for awhile. I wish I knew where that went. It, too, was a nice tool, though heavy.

I've found, in practice, that once I get a bike well dialed-in, I never need the tool while out riding. Even on rare occasion where I have a mechanical issue on the road, the multi-tool has never been the right tool for the job at hand. Actually, the only mechanical issue I've ever had where a tool (aside from tire levers) might have been useful was a snapped rear shift cable (25 miles from home). What I *should* have done is used a multi-tool to tune the high gears out of the rear derailleur, forcing it to stay in a middle gear. That way I could have done my shifting using the triple front crankset and would have made it home without calling for a lift. But that didn't occur to me, so I limped along my 11t rear cog to somewhere I could call for a ride.

So although I have one multi-tool for each bike, I find that about halfway through each biking season I'm sufficiently satisfied with the bike's condition, and I take the tools out of my seat bags because I know I'm going to be doing some excruciating climb where the psychological advantage of not carrying that extra 1/6th of a pound makes all the difference in the world. (Joking of course, but this is how we tend to think as we toil up a steep climb, isn't it?) And so far I've never been in a situation where I regret not having it with me, though I don't doubt that day will come eventually.

Of course my good fortune of not needing a multi-tool as I ride is probably a product of my riding habits. My normal rides originate from my home, take me somewhere 7 to 35 miles away, and then back to home again. If I were setting out on some multi-day touring adventure, my need for a portable tool would be greater. Because as it is, I check things over before I head out, and if something minor comes up along the ride I make a mental note of it and take care of it when I get home. That strategy isn't as effective if your ride doesn't start and end at home each day.
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
If you really want it moved, I can move it but you're getting a lot of responses here. It's up to you.
Thanks everyone for your advice on the tools..
I will continue to look at Tools and though I have found usefulness in multi-tools on a ride more so with friends I am riding with
I will end up probably buying tools piece by piece as I need them for my home set up. So I am not stuck with tons of tools I don't need
and don't use.
I knew of Pedros tire levers but did not know they had a whole line of tools I will look into them if they are quality tools for a
lesser price of Park.

as far as moving the post.. No you are right I got a good amount of response here.