genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Universal rules are hard to come by, but we all develop habits and practices based on our environments and views of probabilities. I suspect some of this is regional. I ride and drive in New England over a pretty broad range of places, and while there are enormous amounts of MUP riding, an adult riding on a sidewalk is a very rare sight. Part of the reason for this is obvious, I ride in some places where sidewalks are rare, but when I'm in places like the city I live in and the metro Boston area, I just don't see almost anyone do this, even in places where I know it's legal. I have very few places where I will jump on a sidewalk, two in fact, but there's really no safe alternative in those places.

As a general rule, sidewalks and streets wind a lot around here, so riding on a sidewalk often would involve trying to see around a curve, with really low quality pavement. As a general rule, I think you would be much more vulnerable to getting run over at a driveway, hitting a pedestrian, and being hard to see at an intersection riding on a sidewalk around these parts than riding on the street.

MUPs are special-purposed sidewalks designed to accommodate cycling, so lumping them into this discussion is just confusing the issue.
Yup, and paths vary from the narrow park path hardly wide enough for a walk, to wide paths, big enough to accommodate a parade... and some sidewalks are wide and have sweeping turns and are just designed for moderate speed riding... say up to 16 or 18 MPH... and connect right to the "highways" of the cycling world, the well designed MUP that never sees pedestrians... as it is off and away from homes, stores, and shops, but is a shortcut past the high speed intersection close by... I can go on and on and describe all manner and means of "paved surface" that can easily accommodate a rolling cyclist... bottom line there are a lot of flavors and variations, and a simple term hardly describes them all... but certainly the "Universal Rule" of "don't ride sidewalks..." is just malarkey... And that IS the point.