Old 09-03-19, 10:25 AM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Keep the bike

First off, bikes are a bit like cars. Once you've rolled it out of the shop, it depreciates a lot. So no, you probably can't return it. Edit: Glad you could return it, but sorry you did.

Second, if it's "your" money, and you can afford it, don't worry about the cost. I'm fat and old and seven years ago I got tired of bikes that didn't fit quite right and bought a custom bike. It felt like a huge splurge, but for the first time in my life I had a bike that was really comfortable, and could ride without pain. (Well, to be honest, after 100 miles, I hurt a little.) That bike changed my life -- no exaggeration! I could ride farther, faster, higher. I didn't lose much weight, but I did lose inches, I got fit, and and I got happier. I put 20,000 miles on that bike in 4 years. I'm not riding it as much anymore only because I got another bike that's better for commuting and touring, so I only ride the first bike for day pleasure rides the last few years.

People in the know about bikes do double takes when they see fat, old, me riding the beautiful orange Waterford. More than one person has implied that it's too much bike for me. F*** 'em. They don't know. It's exactly the right bike for me.

And to the person who said there's no such thing as "my money" in a marriage, you don't know that! Different couples handle money differently. Part of the reason my relationship has been good for more than 37 years is that neither of us has to justify our spending to the other.

Last edited by teacherlady; 09-03-19 at 11:41 AM.