Old 10-02-19, 10:35 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Clothing

Originally Posted by richard.susanto
I'm planning to join an 80 miles gravel ride in Northern Wisconsin in the 3rd week of October. Checking the historical weather, it's gonna be in the upper 30's when I start at 7 a.m. in the morning, and in the upper 50's in the late morning/afternoon.

With quite a vast range of temperature, any suggestion on what clothes I should wear/bring with me?

Appreciate the input. Thanks,

Richard

Just did one of these this past weekend. I tend to overheat easily if dressed too warmly for the conditions. Our ride started out at 33 degrees F, ended at 58. I knew I wasn't going to be going all out, because my spouse was riding with me, and they just haven't been able to get enough miles in to ride hard and not blow up. Base some of your clothing decisions on how much effort you intend to ride at. If you're going to be doing a reasonably easy cruising speed that you feel you can maintain all day if need be, you can probably dress a little warmer and more comfortable than if you think your going to be putting out a higher level of effort that is bound to generate a lot more body heat and sweat. It really sucks getting chilled from sweat soaked layers.

So, I wore a wool long sleeved jersey, full length riding tights (not thermal), regular socks/shoes, full finger gloves, light weight head band/ear cover, normal helmet, and a 3-season jacket. The jacket is not super expensive...no desirable pit zips, lol, and, it's not one I would choose for harder effort, as it has few panels to allow air/excess moisture to pass through than my better jacket (that also lacks pit zips) to keep air circulating/less moisture retention, however, it's a good choice for a moderate effort when it's down right cold.

Last night's training ride was just miserable...looks like it's going to be just as terrible tonight. 40's, windy, raining....... I dressed with my better jacket....it's merely water resistant, so where it has panels at the elbow to "breathe" I got some wet in the hour plus I was out there, some sweat cause I was pushing it hard to get done as quickly as possible...legs were soaked from the rain, but didn't feel it while riding. Shoe covers are a god sent....feet were dry, and warm. So, you can always throw on a set of shoe covers to help block wind, they don't seem to bother me as temps warm up, as I've used them in the summer as well during rainy wet rides.

Good luck, and have fun.
Likes For Craptacular8: