View Single Post
Old 02-15-20, 05:00 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
I own the VAR tool, which I use for my own projects. When it comes to my local co-op it is more like junk yard mechanics. Two weeks ago I had a youngster in trying to remove the adjustable cup of his BB. Went to the tool board and found the thin walled tool to move the cup,but it was frozen in place. (cups were so worn they pushed the threads into the BB shell) So I showed him how to use a socket and some washers, and the spindle nut to clamp the whole lot together. Had to use the frame straightening bar with 3' of leverage to get the cup to come loose. Easy? not so much. But did learning occur? yes. He now has an appreciation of how to make it work as BK's solution and my junk yard approach. Yes I am using the Var side of the BB shell pictured but it works the same way on both sides.
Now about the impact thing, I have a 1/2" drive black socket that I have cut the ends out of with much tribulation to fit on fixed cups. So far no need to get it out, but it is in the works. I have also looked at a 36mm open end/box end wrench at Menards for $20 that looks like a real beefy tool to use with a c-clamp and two blocks of wood. Because of the size, I am not sure about a cheater bar to fit on it. But the wrench is about 14" long, (plenty of room for BK's hammer!) Smiles, MH