View Single Post
Old 07-09-20, 01:47 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Neat! I think this would absolutely be considered classic (rat track rack) and vintage (this has got to be at least 25 years old.) Are there even any K-marts left?
I have to agree, with Kmart gone now and with all the other renditions of the old Pletscher racks out there I'd have to put that one on a shelf.
I do seem to remember those years ago hanging on hook in the bike department at Kmart along side the bulb horns, mickey mouse bells, and various other Kmart packaged items. I've seen those racks with various names on them, Cycle Pro, Free Spirit, and a few others over the years. There was a time when Kmart was big enough to buy in sufficient quantities to have their own branding.
I've got a Taiwan made knockoff on one of my beater bikes, its held up just fine over the years.
I never really figured out what that rat trap like device on top was good for, anything that it would hold down would be too small to worry about needing a rack for. When I was in school, those who used them to carry books usually just used bungee cords, but in reality, most people wore a back pack. I had bolted a cooler down to mine and used to for my lunch and carried everything else on my back.