View Single Post
Old 08-28-14, 01:39 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril
Wow! I didn't know this forum was patrolled by the fashion Police.
Fat- shaming and hyper- criticism of someone's satorial choices all in one post.
And broad hints on how to do it properly!
Thank you. I'm taking notes.
For a second there I though I was in a tab with an A&S thread!!

Originally Posted by SkippyX
"Weird. I'm surprised you don't like the look. Your wife LOVED it......"
It is funny the progression of jokes like this, 15 years ago it was mama jokes, now it is wife jokes, in a few years it could be about someone's daughter....the cycle never ends!

Originally Posted by GravelMN
No big deal, just relating a story from a recent ride:

I was in the middle of an 80-mile ride on a route that I take several times a summer. I stopped at a convenience store to fill the water bottles and grab a snack. I was carrying my helmet and wearing a plain red club-cut LG jersey with black trekking shorts (similar to MTB shorts) and casual sport shoe looking MTB shoes. I picked up a liter of water and a cereal bar and stepped into line at the counter. The guy in front of me turned around, looked me up and down, and with a snort of derision said "You gotta be kiddin me". Now, I'm a 50-year-old, about 230-pound, male so I'm used to the occasional rude comment, but what got me is that this guy was much heavier than I with a gut spilling out from under a size too small t-shirt and over the waist band of some seriously stressed out sweat pants. He was buying a box of sweet rolls and a large bottle of Mt. Dew. He tossed his money on the counter as if he was in a hurry and told the cashier to keep the change. He turned back to me with a dirty look, shook his head and walked out the door giving me one last glance through the glass.

While I've got a thick hide (no pun intended) and don't usually let things bother me, I wasn't sure if I was offended, felt sorry for him, or felt trepidation that this guy was going to run my backside over a few miles down the road. I didn't recognize him and hadn't had any recent bad encounters on the road, so I can't think of any personal grudge he might have against me, and from the way he looked me over, I can only assume he had a problem with the way I was dressed or with cyclists in general.

95+% of my interaction with other people while out riding is positive, but this fella kind of weirded me out. I kept looking over my shoulder until I got to the main highway. We hear lots of stories of intentional harassment, open rudeness, even assault and battery of cyclists, but does anyone else have stories of bizarre or creepy encounters?
I was called a fatazz by a guy who almost hit me while he was sitting in his car in, get this, the MCDONALD'S DRIVE THRU!! I laughed through his window and then decided to leave. I told him to enjoy his bag of death, which remains my best reply to an idiot driver.

Personally I love cycling specific clothing. 2 years ago it was quick dry shirts, b-ball shorts, and boxer briefs on rides, then it went to padded cycling liners, then lycra shorts, then a simple jersey, and now I rock bibs and the C&A jersey!!! But when people make comments, especially my overweight coworkers, I simply give them a smattering of these as a response:

Or for the really bad ones I get juicier......