Old 10-17-13, 10:21 PM
spartan_l25a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPZ66
Well... I haven't looked up the Bianchi line from that time frame, but I would say that it was lower level, or entry level offering.....quality restoration of any bicycle is either time consuming or costly OR BOTH if you don't have the tools/skills...... I would just focus on maintenance items, cleaning and possibly a few cosmetic touch ups, then ride it. It is not a Bianchi offering worth spending any major bucks on IMHO.

If you like it and it fits and you're happy with it....just enjoy it. As you progress (digress?) into the C&V world, you may find yourself wanting something nicer....that's when you sell it to help pay for the next one ! Most of the folks here wind up with several or more bikes, suiting various purposes.....not to say that you cant find a decent all-a-rounder..... a racing bike does not usually make for a good commuter.

Spend time reading the forum here and pay attention to what the experienced and knowledgable folks here have to say about various bikes, tubesets,builders, components, etc....and you will soon begin to have a better idea what you might want ....size/fit being the most important...but then things like ride characteristics, weight and purpose begin to come into focus as well.

Either way, you now have a Bianchi....which is still a cool Italian bicycle !

Joe
Makes sense. Tools I have. Skills I am transferring (auto/motorbike mechanic), I have restored another old bike successfully and without too much fuss for my sister (Woman's Le Circuit).

I have a Specialized TriCross Comp as my commuter and it's great for that. This I bought specifically to work on. I live in Toronto so every C&V bike is way over priced here. Most U08's go for 150+ and are in miserable shape and Bianchi generally start at 400. I got this one for 140 which in my book is a steal.

I've been trying to learn more about this one for my own knowledge going on that thread referenced above as a guide ('84 Strada) but not much luck yet. I think you're right, low-mid level offering, still better than the alternatives I think (Norco Avanti, U08, Nishiki Olympic) for my use which will be mainly 40 - 50k rides, once or twice a week.

Anyways, if anyone has any additional info on the '84 Bianchi line up I'd love to hear from you!