In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Catherine99
Hi All, I'm Catherine and I'm new here.

I have a tentative plan for a 3 day supported bike trip in September and I would love some experienced riders advice and guidance to help me prepare. And even just to tell me if this is a good idea or not given my starting place/where I'm at now.

Trip: 3 days on mostly flat, dedicated bike trails. 30-40 miles a day, on mountain bike. Alternatively they offer a road option on a hybrid but that one is slightly more hilly. The trips are considered "easy" by the tour company offering it. I will not need to carry my belongings, they will be transported from hotel to hotel by tour company. So just essentials while out for the day (water, sunblock, rain jacket type stuff). The bike trip begins on September 6. Though I will need to leave home for it on August 31st, so no more training after that point.

Me: I'm 38, have become quite out of shape & sedentary over the last 3-4 years though I used to be quite fit. I have just recently started riding a heavy beach cruiser casually for errands and as of yesterday I'm now also riding just to put on miles. Yesterday I rode it 7 miles and I was quite fatigued by the end of it which concerns me in regard to this trip. This is what lead me here.

Is my bike trip a realistic goal considering where I'm at now? It might help to know that I recently left my job, and am taking a year off before returning to work. So I have lots of time to put towards this. I can make it my #1 priority between now and August 31. And I love riding it.

I need to book this trip very soon before accommodations are full, hoping I can get some insight from experienced riders to tell me if I should pull the trigger or not.

Thank you for your time
OK ...

September 6
30-40 easy miles/day for 3 days.
Unloaded
June 10: 7 miles

Yep ... you should be able to do it. Here's what you do.

As soon as possible, get the bicycle you are going to use to ride it and start riding that bicycle.

Since 7 miles was a lot for you, back it off to 5 miles and do that 4-5 days this week.

Next week, try doing 6 miles for 3 days, and increase two days to 8 miles.

On the last week of June, maintain 6 miles a day for 3 days, and increase your two longer days to 10 miles.

The week of July 4, increase your lower mileage to 7 miles, and your longer days to 12 miles.

The next week, maintain your lower miles at 7 miles, and increase your longer days to 15 miles.

The week of July 18, increase your lower mileage to 8 miles, and your longer days to 20 miles.

Just keep going like that. If you do hit a distance you really struggle with, back it off a bit the next week and then start again.

Do take a couple days off each week ... rest or go for a walk.

Since you aren't working and you've got time, I'd also suggest going for a ride and then going for a walk to cool down some days.