Thread: Tubeless gurus
View Single Post
Old 07-08-16, 11:21 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
If it won't hold air because of a puncture a tube can be installed. Not anymore difficult than changing the tube in a regular clincher. If a large gash happens that won't seal, repairing it would be as much of a problem as repairing a large gash on a regular clincher too. In that respect I don't see any advantage to riding tubes.
And it is a messy PITA to get a tube in a tubeless tire that properly fully seats. Hell I've had to lug a tire bead jack along with me on rides because simply getting the bastard tire back on again is a massive chore. Oh yea...and tossing a tube in a tubeless tire results in drastic loss of ride quality. So the next 2-3 hours of riding are not going to be pleasurable.

I used to sing the gospel of roadie tubeless too (everything from 23mm Hutchinsons to 28mm Schwalbes). Then after several non-self-sealing punctures on long rides away from civilization, I saw the silliness for what it was. A ton of effort, lots of engineering, lots of hassle/mess, for not a whole lot in return.

Quality high TPI clinchers Just Work (tm). Less mess, less fuss. And you're carrying a tube in your pocket anyway because the damn tire probably won't self seal in the event of puncture anyway.

Originally Posted by chaadster
The sane, stable, cool-headed rider would just put a tube in it like they would any standard clincher flat. It's no big deal, believe me, as I've been there and done that.

I'll also remind you that bead jacks existed before tubeless tires. Do you know what that means? It means tight beads are not the exclusive province of tubeless, and plenty of tubed clinchers are a total pain to mount, too. Of course, I think most tubeless users, myself included, have been able to mount them without any tools, not even a tire lever.
A) See above.

B) Most reg clinchers don't require a bead jack, they make it a ton easier but don't require it. Properly sealing tubeless are wicked tight on the rim.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 07-08-16 at 11:24 AM.