View Single Post
Old 09-06-18, 02:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Ah, not true! Here is a great light for less than $8 (+ free shipping) that puts out 600 lumens and in a shaped reflector with a horizontal cutoff so you do not blind everyone heading towards you. The light puts out more light at the top of the beam too so you get more light further down the road for overall even illumination and better night vision retention. Just like the headlights on your car!

This bike-specific light is outstanding and even has a decent rechargeable battery.

https://www.banggood.com/XANES-600LM...r_warehouse=CN
I finally received mine last week. It shipped out from Thailand. OK, whatever.

I've tested it once or twice.

The bad:

It feels flimsy, but maybe I'm not being fair.

It has five modes, and it doesn't remember what mode it was last on, so when I turn it on, it goes to mode 1. I happen to like mode 4, so I have to hold the on button for a second and then press it three times, watching the output to make sure I get what I want.

mode 1: low steady
mode 2: tail light
mode 3: medium steady
mode 4: high steady
mode 5: flashing, not sure which intensity

The tail light mode (2) is useless.

The good:

It lasted for two hours at high intensity (4).

The beam is, in fact, good, both in intensity and shape.

The price is almost impossibly low. It's gone up to $9, but that's practically free.

I have to test this more to be fair. I'm impressed overall. How did you find this?

The lack of mode memory is a serious deficiency.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.