Old 11-06-18, 04:28 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcc65
Hmmm. Perhaps I can be persuaded. Front hub dynamo sounds like a real PITA to get set up though, no? Would I have to buy a new wheel or have my old wheel and spokes attached to the new hub? I wonder if tapping in to the electric motor would be best. The only issue is that I sometimes ride different bikes, so I'm leaning to just a light that's all self-contained or maybe a battery pack.
Which is what you should be choosing rather than voiding the warranty on your bike for a few pitiful minutes.

In addition, you should keep in mind that while Chinese lights offer a significantly lower price they do come with compromises such as inferior parts, electronics and workmanship.

Also, the best lights have good lenses with focused beams which is more important than lights that advertise super inflated lumen ratings. Consider the longevity of your light, and your riding environment. Will you be using it on rough roads or in adverse weather conditions? Good lights can take the abuse without wires coming loose or clamps falling apart.

Last but not least, is the consistency and quality of your light. Many lights advertise super high lumen ratings but don't tell you that those high levels only last for the first few minutes. After which time they degrade and continue to do so as the battery charge level diminishes. This is a challenge even the highest quality lights aren't always able to achieve.