Old 02-26-19, 10:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Laws like this, in the right hands, could put a huge dent in the bike theft problem, by keeping track of bike via serial numbers or unique undetectable markings, such as Smart Water technology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartWater
You are not entirely correct .... in fact ... entirely wrong. First off, you are proposing addenda to the bill which as of now do not exist.

Second, you are assuming cops will be more willing to look for bike thieves. The people who would get busted would be poor folks who bought off EBay or local websites. Thieves don't steal bikes and ride them. You do know that, I hope.

What this could do would be to bind up a bunch of folks whose bikes were stolen, who needed to buy a cheap replacement immediately to do their daily commute.

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I personally have had 5 bikes stolen from me over the years, but I wouldn't even want most of those bikes back at this point.
Lucky you, since that would never have happened anyway.

My question would be, if there is a plate issued .... where would it be mounted? I have no free real estate on my seat post, no rear rack, no place to attach a bracket ....