View Single Post
Old 04-15-19, 05:07 PM
boomerbicyclist

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Bianchi Nuovo Racing, Colnago Superissimo(?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
As I read through the posts, two things strike me:

1. The 50+ bicyclers who have responded are generally pretty sophisticated bicycling folks, riding high quality machines, road bikes, other types of bikes, and are into "real" riding, not the typical stereotype that many have of "seniors" or "elderly" riders out for a Sunday ride.

2. The number of folks who also lift weights. As you gain more maturity in life, lifting weights is increasingly important to counter natural muscle loss and to fight against osteoporosis. Unfortunately, bicycling does not help in osteo prevention at all, as it actually promotes osteoporosis, so it is really important to do the resistive exercise activities. I happen to love doing them, so it is easy for me.

We now have 78 bicyclists on the forum who have self-identified themselves as 50+.

Good job, everyone.
Thanks for the gentle nag about weights: I hate 'em because I find lifting tedious, painful, and generally futile for me (I took a weight training class my senior year of high school, and in an entire semester gained a whopping two pounds); but I do recognize the need for strength training, so thanks again. Given that my dad died at 44 [from ALS he probably contracted when on active duty in the Army], I find every day is a bonus. It's always a great day to be alive, and I'd like to keep it that way for quite a while.

Does anybody have issues with osteoarthritis? After nineteen years jockeying a city bus, my hands are arthritic, and I'm finding a loss of grip strength--a real pain, when you consider that of the four two-wheeled vehicles I own, only one has a motor. I'm definitely open to recommendations for exercises or supplements. My Colnago, my Vespa and I thank you in advance.