View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 06:02 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
I've been doing other riding this spring, so haven't been racing since March. This is my first season and last night was my 5th race, so still learning. It's a dead flat course with 4 turns, 5 laps of about 2+ miles each. The race started, and I had this momentary brain fart where I couldn't clip in. Once I got it, I moved to 4th wheel. There were 26 racers. I read in another thread the other day, "If you're not passing, you're being passed." That's largely true. For most of the first 3 laps, I hung around 3rd wheel. Other racers wanted me to go, but I'm a big guy, and I'm not down with being a wind break for the rest of the lead group. I wanted to ride conservatively but avoid being dropped. I shut down all the breaks for the first 3 laps, except one, but he went right into the wind with no support. He was reeled in pretty quickly. Then I realized that I shouldn't be shutting down the breaks all the time: Let's see what other people can do! Sure enough, they shut them down, and I got a free ride. There was a 4th lap sprint finish because some other dude couldn't count. On the 5th lap, one guy went with about 1/3 of a lap left, right into the wind. I let him go. The peloton went for him. I had to go. That racer got away and won. The rest of the pack went to the left to follow another rider. I took the inside, laid down some power on the final stretch (like 600+W from the corner), and got 3rd.

Overall, this was my most manageable race. I could think while I was riding, and I wasn't suffering trying to get on the back of the peloton. I felt like I had more gas in the tank at the end, but I also think that it was subdued because it was straight Cat 5. The last 3 have been 4/5, so harder with the more experienced guys in there. The podium finish feels good, too.
Likes For TimmyT: