burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Breaking a night-time snack routine embedded from childhood

To start, I'm not a big guy. I run between 150 to 160 lbs at 5' 10" most of the time. Which is fine.

However, I think I've got a messed up balance in terms of diet that drives me to have a less than enjoyable experience holding a good "race weight".

Since early childhood, as early as I can remember, I always had an evening snack. Probably around 8PM. Our family growing up religiously ate at 5:30. One theory I have is that this dinnertime is just too early and you get some cravings later. Then, that snack time is about the least optimal time of day for a snack ever. Right before bed you don't need anything, your body is just going to take that and store it as fat.

One idea is to have a healthy snack somewhere else during the day and shift the lunch/dinner hours later in the day. So that dinner is maybe at least 6PM to 6:30PM.

I'd have to work at moving the dinner hour later with the family.

What's opinions for this? It's not just about trying to be a skinny bike racer. I don't feel it's good for you to snack later at night from a sleep standpoint or health standpoint. It's almost pointless.

I'd appreciate ideas. Since childhood is a long time habit to break.