Old 08-11-19, 09:39 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by g321
I've been using Molten Speed Wax for around 6 months on KMC (DLC) and SRAM Red chains. Not that I'm in the 11-12-13 cogs very often but I've never had problems going up and down the cassette. I'd say the only time shifting is "eh" is when I first slap a newly waxed chain on, but within 5 miles shifting is normal.
+1 to the idea that things normalize pretty quickly. You say you are following the directions precisely from Molten Speed Wax. I would be curious if you are bending all the individual links to free them up before installing the chain? If you do this, the chain will shift a little quicker right away without the 5 miles of break-in as noted above. I would prefer it to be stiff at the beginning and to have ever so sluggish shifting for a bit. This is because with this condition, the chain is going to be nicely waxed and remain silent longer. If you pre-flex he links, some Wax will flake off and it will free up any slightly stiff links. The only downside to this is that the Wax will have to be renewed sooner if you are bothered by chain noise. I have found that after about 200 or 250 miles I tend to hear not a squeaking but sort of sloshing sound while in the small (or smaller) chainring and under full climbing torque.