Old 08-21-19, 04:26 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
... and a lot of them perform just as well as a set of tubulars. ...
What are you comparing?
Some of the better clinchers perform as well as some of the lessor tubulars. Many clinchers seat better.
I know of no clinchers that perform as well as the best tubulars. All are 400g heavier, more flat prone and less responsive.
Here is my ready to ride set all built up 1370g. Those are road tires G+ and hold up well.
The best 23mm clinchers/tubeless are going to be a few hundred grams more and subject to breakage these are not. But those 23 clinchers are not the handlers of these.
To get the air above the rim and and feel of these 23mm you'd need about a 25/26mm tubeless.
The general population does not race. Nobody cares. I get that.
But for those that do, and buy the good stuff, the difference is significant, which is why the good wheel sets are not cheap, nor are the tires.

Two at same PSI. One a tubular of silk casing. The other a "25" Veloflex Master. The tubular has the air of a 28 meaning you need 2-3mm more width in a clincher to get the same feel/bump protection. I'd put 23mm tubulars on the tandem, when for clinchers I want 25s.
I was taking slomo video of how these grip the road and deform on a corner. My kid saw me taking that video and laughed why I'd even bother. The difference is so stark, it is silly.