View Single Post
Old 09-24-19, 05:06 PM
Bandolero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forums. Supercyle is a brand owned by Canadian Tire and dating back to the very late 1930s. The brand was manufactured by a large variety of sources over the years, including some very reputable manufacturers such as CCM, Raleigh and Motobecane. However, the bicycles were typically designed for a very low price point., so even when manufactured by one of the big names, there are typically cost concessions in the workmanship and/or components. Given the presence of a disc brake, I suspect this is one of the 1970s models manufactured by Bridgestone of Japan. As advised, I'd avoid these. The performance of these discs suffer in comparison to modern disc brakes and as noted, replacement pads for 40+ year disc brakes are not easy to come by. At least with caliper brakes, compatible modern pads are not an issue.

Given the wide variety of models produced under the Supercycle brand over the years, I'd suggest you supply photos or links to the advertisement of the bicycle under consideration. There are forum rules that will prevent photos from attaching to the thread but they will post to a separate gallery album where members can view them.
Hey, thanks for the speedy response. One of the bikes in particular was an '83 model, which was up for $60 CAD. Out of curiosity, I negotiated and only managed to get it down to $45. It's a "1983 Supercycle Medalist MK-II (with rare early disc break)", which while looks like it's in good shape, concerns me mostly because of how compatible (?) it would be with modern spare parts, best to think these things ahead in my opinion.

There's another one that's a '60s model with rim brakes, which I don't really see much of an issue of, but it's up for $60 CAD aswell.

I'd post some pictures but I guess I need 10 forums posts first