Thread: Wheels
View Single Post
Old 03-12-20, 09:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4362 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Why the need to switch from 26 to something else? If you want a lightweight wheelset find a wheel builder and get them to build you one. You can quite easily find hubs and spokes and there are at least a few decent rims still out there for 26". If you aren't a heavy person you could potentially go 28h or less (though finding rims in that drilling and size might be a bit tough especially in rim brake).

If I were building wheels I would probably go White Industries T11 or CLD hubs (depending on rear spacing) , Sapim Force spokes and Secure Lock nipples on a Velocity A23 rim (which you can get in 26 with machined sidewalls). If you wanted lighter and more performance oriented you might consider Sapim CX-Ray spokes and if you are truly weight weenie go with aluminum nipples. For tires I wouldn't go super narrow personally as I like the width for comfort and ease of rolling over stuff and also speed.
Likes For veganbikes: