Thread: Wheels
View Single Post
Old 03-13-20, 09:07 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
veganbikes 's advice is correct. Switching wheel sizes will not gain you anything but incompatibility hassles.

I disagree with the above advice to get ultra-narrow tires - wider tires, all other things being equal, have less rolling resistance, and also require less pressure, which gives a more comfortable ride and more traction. There are lots of good 26" tires in medium widts (1.5" or so). My favourite is the panaracer Pasela, which rolls like a racing tire, but for a low price.

Bikeman Panaracer Pasela ProTite Tire - 26 x 1.5, Clincher, Wire, Black/Tan, 60tpi

Also, you should know that moving your brake pads to match the braking surface when changing rim sizes will result in a significant change to brake performance. Generally speaking, if you are moving the pads away from the brake's pivot point - as you would have to do if going to a larger wheel size on your bike - you will have less braking power for the same force input at the lever. IF moving from 26" wheels to 650b (27.5), the 12.5mm pad movement required is a significant change over the original distance from the pivot to the pad, and will cut braking power greatly. It might be possible to use non-V-brake compatible levers, which pull less cable but with more tension, with the V brake model linked above. I wouldn't think it would work very well with V-brake 'long pull' levers.
I have pretty narrow 26" rims on my MTB that is converted to a dropbar bike. When I switch out the 2.125 tries for smooth 1.25 tires I notice a HUGE difference in ease of pedaling with the narrow tires. In fact when I had 42 (or was it a 44?) large chainring on the bike I often spun out with the narrow tires because it was so much easier to pedal than with the wide tires. I put on a crankset with a 48 teeth large chainring to correct that spinning out problem.

Cheers