View Single Post
Old 05-01-20, 08:45 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by dvai
I got my project one Domane. Comes with disc brakes, which is new for me.
Congrats!

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Pay attention to the braking early on - the brake pads need to bed in to the rotors, and the braking may not be great for the first few rides. In my experience, metallic pads are far worse out of the box; resin pads are pretty good when new, but will still improve a bit.
I'll add that something you can do to help bed the pads is just run up and down the street, get going pretty quick, and do some max braking efforts. Maybe do this a half-dozen times or until braking improves. It should help accelerate the bedding process. It will also give you a good idea of your available braking performance and how it will feel.

I also experience (on my MTB at least) with resin pads, occasionally they will glaze over and I have to remove the pads and knock off the glaze with some ~200 grit sandpaper. I know I need to do this when the brakes get both ineffective and very noisy. You may never experience this, but just FYI.
Likes For abshipp: