View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 07:32 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I think any of the XT hubs that have a steel axle and quarter inch ball bearings are great hubs for touring. I used a M752 XT rear hub for some touring, I built that wheel in 2004, that wheel is now on my rando bike. Used an M760 rear hub for another touring bike that i built up in 2010, most recently used for a 2018 two week tour in Everglades and Florida Keys. And in 2017 I built up another touring bike and used a new M756A rear hub for that.

On the 2004 wheel, I have had to adjust the cones a couple times. Each time I add a bit more Phil grease while I am at it.

The 2017 M756A hub on my Lynskey Backroad in the photo, but it is not a great photo, sorry.

More on the hub here:
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-M756-A-3295.pdf

You did not specify front or rear, all my touring now is with a front dynohub, so only use the XT hubs in the rear now. But I have used XT steel axle front hubs in the past for touring and had no troubles.
My inquiry is on both, front and rear.
The Bruce Gordon RnR currently has two wheel sets. (rim brake)
1) DT TK540 with Alfine dyno front and XT M756A rear
2) Alex Adventurer2 with XTR M950 front and LX M570 rear
The MountainCycle Stumptown also has three wheelsets. (disc brake)
1) Velocity Blunt with XT M756A front and rear
2) Velocity Major Tom with SRAM X9 front and rear
3) Stans Arch with Alfine dyno front and Novatec single speed rear

I'm probably over thinking this, but have time to kill so working on a wheel building carousel.
Have a few spare sets of hubs which I'm wondering if it will make much of a difference.
- XTR 965 front and rear
- SRAM 340 front and rear

The plan is to move the Velocity Blunt rims to another bike and retire the Novatec SS hub. And I'm done with tubular tires so will also have the X9 hubs freed up.
So I'll have a choice of 3 hubs to build Arches for the Stumptown (M756, M965 and 340), but before I do that I'd like to explore whether I should replace the any of the non-dyno hubs for the RnR (M756 rear, M960 front, M570 rear)