View Single Post
Old 09-08-20, 05:50 AM
JIMBO53

Bikes: 71 and 75 Raleigh Tourists

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 17 Posts
I'n working on a Huffy Sportsman that is in really bad shape but salvageable. Doing a complete rebuild with parts from my donor bikes. These aren't really collectible, more an oddity, so no harm, no foul. I'll repaint and rebuild as a Raleigh since I have several Raleigh Heron chainrings. My original bike came with nice condition chrome fenders, so that will set it off nicely! It came with a Sturmey Archer TCW hub (the much maligned and for good reason-brakes wouldn't work when needed and gears would jamb when shifting. Think SA tried to stuff too much stuff inside that little hub shell. The H36 means 36 hole hub) 3 speed with internal coaster brake. Mine came with only a front caliper brake. The hub was dated 1963 and from what I researched that was about when Huffy contracted with Raleigh to make these. I don't think the arrangement lasted for more than a few years. Someone might have switched out the TCW hub for the Shimano (a much better hub-I have one on a Birmingham built 53 Gazelle and its a great shifting hub) and added a real caliper brake. Your frame, paint and decals are in great shape, so a worthy candidate, but keep any cash outlay low unless you intend to keep and ride for a long time. Correct saddle, a Brooks will set you back but handlebars are pretty common as are fenders. Keep an eye out for a beat up Raleigh donor bike and you might get lucky!

Originally Posted by Oldsledz
I got 2 3 speed bikes at a yard sale today. The Ladies was made by Apollo Cycle Co. Birmingham England. The date on the SA hub is 10/63 . I can not find much info on the web for this company, did they make their own frames? The mens is badged as a Huffy made in England. I don't know who made the rear hub , is has a US patent number on it and what what looks like the numbers 333 and says 3 speed hub. Near the oil hole it has H36. Anyone know about when the Huffy was made and by who? Both bikes look like they came from the same factory and about the same time. The frames are identical other than being mens and ladies , forks, crank , sprocket and stem are the same. The fenders and chain guards look like Raleigh.

Last edited by JIMBO53; 09-08-20 at 05:55 AM.