View Single Post
Old 12-08-20, 08:37 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
My tubeless tires can be mounted by hand and sealed with a floor pump. Due to variations from manufacturer (both wheels and tires), I try to do as much research as possible before I choose what I am going to use.

A proper double wrap tape job using quality tape 4mm wider than internal width (DT Swiss Tape!), will seal a tire better than some wheels that don't require tape. I'm talking about the standard PSI loss when a bike is sitting for extended periods.

I research what sealant I am going to use as well and look at the studies on which seals the best (Orange Seal!). If I have to deal with a puncture that will not seal, I use Dyna Plugs...I also research how to use them effectively. Yeah, if you are just learning on the side of the road it's going to take extra time. If you are prepared, you are literally back riding in a matter of minutes.

If I have to use a tube (I never have had to yet), I can break the seal, remove the valve and insert a tube just as fast as anyone who is adept at changing tires...you would be surprised how many people understand how to change a tire, but when it comes down to practical application fumble all over the place. Knowing and doing are two different things.

Even if using a tube took longer to change (which for me it doesn't), the ride quality of tubeless tires makes it worth it to me. Also if it took extra time (which it doesn't for me), the benefit of not dealing with a nasty dirty drivetrain makes it worth it to me. That suck factor is compounded even more if you have to deal with that at night...in the cold...or being wet.

JMO and JME
Likes For jadocs: