Old 01-27-15, 01:32 AM
Abstractworld

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Do you understand the difference between fix gear and single speed? You mention both. While they are mechanically rather similar, there are two very important differences. A fix gear uses a cog that screws onto the hun and must be locked in place with a lockring with left-hand threads to prevent backpedaling, whether intentional or not, from unscrewing the cog. Hence the hub must be a fix gear hub with twp separate sets of threads. A singlespeed uses a freewheel that screws onto the hub but no lockring is required. The freewheel can be screwed onto any hub designed for either a freewheel or a fix gear.

And then there is the riding. Very different. The pedals on the fix gear are always turning with the rear wheel. There is no coasting.

I'm guessing you already knew this and just wasn't thinking when you wrote the title. If indeed you are looking for a fix gear, you have to make that clear or the bike you receive probably will not have a rear wheel that is fix gear compatible.

Ben
I thought they had fixed gear bikes that could flip around to be changed to free wheel if you choose and vice versa?

Either way, I prefer a fixed bike that requires the pedals to move and no coasting.