View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 08:57 AM
letmeknow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
There's lots of options at your price point. Keep in mind that for all the talk, there's not much of a real world difference between everything. Where are you located?
In the US, typically Giant and Trek are the best bang for the buck. Current aluminum bikes from bigger brands ride the same as carbon ones, so I wouldn't even bother considering carbon at your price point. As far as quality, they're all the same for the most part. You can ride a lot of the 'wrong' bike before you start giving up anything - for example the best aero road bike is only 20w @ 27mph faster than a horrific one (looking at Tour Int tests) that's about 5% or .25-.5mph if you're hitting it extremely hard. Stock to good tires, good bike position, and good clothes will make a much much much bigger difference (assuming the same fitness).

If you've got one bike, I'd steer you toward an "endurance" or even "gravel" bike, so you can do some light off roading on a second set of fat tires. The penalty, again, is not high. I'd also suggest getting a cheaper old stock Tiagra over a current 105 bike or used bike, and spending more money on accessories (lights, shorts, seat, jersey, bottles, cages, glasses, computer...it never ends), as 10sp vs 11sp isn't much of a change. You're right on the gearing, just go with a 50/34 front chainring bike (pretty much every bike now). It's unlikely you'll need taller gearing. Also, IMO, paint job is more important than most things- spend money on the coolest bike.
This thread needs more people such as yourself. Really good info for riders such as myself. Thank you for putting in the time. I'm really back and forth about aluminum and Carbon at this price point. I also believe that everything should at least be 105 above $1300. Im most likely traveling towards the higher end of this price point. Im in NY, so I have a fitness bike for urban traveling and used to have a road bike where Im originally from (Up north), but IMO people shouldnt ride with such high STA in NYC. Might as well be asking to be hit by a car. I'm looking at a Giant Defy 2 2018 for about $1000 in perfect shape with all accessories included. Thought this would be a good endurance bike to try, but its a good distance to travel to get to it.