Old 05-18-19, 03:38 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji_owner
However, I've always liked the idea of touring, but I've never felt confident enough to actually do it.

If this is the reality then my advice, like lots of those above, is to get out there and try it with whatever you can beg borrow or steal (not really!).

From my own observations, I have seen many, many people with perfectly adequate gear who always have a reason not to tour - despite saying how much they want to do it.

I have also witnessed folks on tour with gear far superior to my own just give up and go home for (to me) the strangest reasons - such as rain!

My conclusion is that the grey matter between our ears is the most important factor in undertaking and enjoying a tour.

I'd suggest you're asking the wrong questions, or at least putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. Don't worry about how to take time off or money until you have at least figured out if you enjoy touring on a bike. That should be priority number 1 - figure out what you like to do. The best way to do that is to actually do it!

There is such a wide variety of touring styles to choose from: You can bikepack in the wilderness. Do a Tour De France Route with a group and support, pootle along a riverbank guided or not, supported or not, head off from Alaska to South America carrying everything you need to survive for a couple of years. And lots more.

Getting on a bike and pushing that pedal with the intention of doing a tour is the first step. Do that, figure out what you like and suits you, then you can strategise for the future.

You'd be amazed what opportunities are available in your local area if you look around with a refreshed set of eyes.

For inspiration have a look on crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A place for bicycle tourists and their journals There's thousands of journals from people who have done it.

Good Luck!