View Single Post
Old 05-20-19, 02:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
I am vegan and unlike most carnists I don't feel the need to talk about it all the time non-stop and have it plastered everywhere from T.V. to print ads to just going into the average grocery store and then whine when some who is vegan actually mentions veganism.

Veganism is about not exploiting animals no matter who they are. If you feel as if you have a right to exploit someone else, please tell me then would you want the same thing you have done to someone else done to you? I prefer to live my life trying to treat others the same way I would want to be treated, I see no reason to live any other way!

As far as eating on tour, it is quite easy. You can get all forms of freeze dried and dehydrated meals and fruits and vegetables that are vegan as well as some some prepackaged stuff like Tasty Bites (and similar knockoffs) and you can make your own with a dehydrator. You can also bring oats, rice, quinoa (Keen One makes a delicious instant one), lentils, instant noodles, TVP, instant mashed potatoes, nuts... You can also bring various bread and nut butters and jellys, jams, preserves... If you are smart go to places that do take out and get sauce packets like Sriracha, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and mix in some peanut butter powder into some noodles and maybe some dried veg and cut up some primal strips on top and you have some delicious peanut noodles.

This a great site for pre-made vegan backpacking meals which also work perfectly for touring:
https://outdoorherbivore.com/vegan/
There are also a lot of other brands also doing vegan options these days.

As far as powerfood/sports nutrition goes Pro-Bar, Clif, Science in Sport, Skratch, Floyds of Leadville (if you are into CBD), Nuun as well as quite a few others offer vegan bars, gels, chews, drink mixes, etc. I would use this exclusively but is very handy while riding. My favorites are the SIS Isotonic gels (you don't need water to consume) and Clif shot blocks and nut butter filled bars and I frequently use the Pro-bar gels but their packaging isn't as good as Clif, and just bought a whole bunch of Nuun tablets for my water. Never underestimate the usefulness of electrolyte drink mixes, there can come a point where you literally cannot consume any more water and even if you could water won't replenish everything you lose.

Sometimes I will also eat out on tour and Happy Cow is a great resource for travelers seeking vegan food. I use it all the time when out of town.

Really it is super easy to eat while on tour and I have never really had any issues other making or finding food even some of the worst grocery stores and convenience stores will generally have at least something these days. If you are especially creative in the kitchen or by the campfire you can come up with some pretty delicious and exciting recipes using odd ingredients.
Likes For veganbikes: