Old 05-20-19, 06:42 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
If I hadn't gotten married and had kids I would have bought the gear I need and saved money enough to last 2 years of income, quit my job at the end of my apartment lease and gone touring for a year maybe a year and half, come back find another apartment and another job. That sounds odd to some of you to do but I actually know a couple, yeah, a husband and wife, who did exactly that, and they were nowhere near the first to ever do that, I've read about singles and couples doing that stuff for years in magazines and books. There are some independently wealthy younger people that either inherited a lot of money, had some sort of tech thing go boom and they either sold out or had others take over so they could leave, I've ran into some that simply bought their gear, quit their jobs but never saved a dime and go out and panhandle! Some earn money by writing blogs of their journey, others had their way paid by donations for charity by riding with sponsors by the mile. Today a lot of people retire at the age of 65 or so and are a lot more active then the previous generation was, so it only makes sense for those to go touring.

I'm married and have kids, though all my kids are now grown and have flown from the nest, my wife is in no condition to ride a bike at her age but I still can with no problem. I have to wait however till I retire at age 68 due to the fact I'm still working, I have a pension plan where I work that won't begin till I'm 68, that combined with the higher level of social security payout at 68 vs 63, plus 403b and my rental investments will allow me to tour across the US several times before I get too old to do it comfortably. I could retire now because my other investments are doing good and I have no debt, but I would have to give up my pension, which I could do, but I would rather have it just in case something goes bad later in retirement.