Old 01-05-20, 01:26 PM
kjaioqhbkqb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Conflict (tire choice): Weekend touring with knobby tires

I know this is bizarre but I currently tour for long weekends, so under 500 miles, on pavement or occasionally on bike trails (gravel, I guess?). I use an old hardtail mtb from the 1980s where I sit essentially upright, and I use a frame bag or front panniers or a rear luggage bag or some combination thereof (I camp at least one of the nights out and cook at least once a day outside). I have been using Continental Travel Contacts and they have been functionally great.

But the look of the tires absolutely disgusts me. I miss the original really knobby tires. I would love to get something extreme like the Maxxis Wet Screams but I know that I will not be able to keep up with my peers in our touring group as they are all roadies.

Do you guys have tire suggestions? I do love the puncture resistance of the Conti Contact Travel (it's been a blessing). The tires are 26" and usually 1.75" to 2.1" wide. The rims are Araya (26 x 1.75) and a steel CMC (26 x 1.75) and fancy Phil Wood hubs if it has any bearing.