View Single Post
Old 06-22-20, 04:09 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Just don't assume that the front hub matches. Many Raleigh bikes were sold with 24 tpi parts as they used up inventory from all the the Birmingham companies they absorbed in 1960. SA rear hubs weren't sold in pairs with the fronts and weren't always specified as such on many bikes.
I have a well marked jar of Raleigh 26 tpi nuts, a jar of of 24 tpi nuts as well as metric nuts from France, Germany and elsewhere. I use these to determine thread pitches Don't get me started on Whitworth anomalies.
I'm sure it's 26, because it's finer than 24 and nearly indistinguishable from m8 x 1.0

Thread pitch is very close to 1mm

There are 26 threads in an inch if you count carefully. Parallax is not your friend here.

I'm also certain it's 5/16 after seeing other Phillips hubs and parts available. That's said, there's nothing preventing use of an adjusting cone on the drive side. I could mark it to avoid confusion when installing the wheel.