Old 09-23-20, 11:59 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Well that's a great looking build! Congrats! Is that a freewheel or a fixed gear? 44 or 45t front and 17 was a pretty common choice BITD. For flatter areas 45/16 should be fine.

+1 on the Koolstop 'dura' dual compound pads. I use the same ones on the modern Gran Compe version of Weinmann brakes, and it's a great combo. No need to toe in, since the adjustment is built into the pad design.Yes, they have concave washers.

Unlike some brakes, Weinmanns can be toed in by bending the arms, but you don't need to if you're getting those pads. IME they can always be made to not squeak. Check in again if the new pads don't do it.
Thank you. It is a freewheel. One request was to make it as easy to pick up and get up to speed as possible, and I know a 42 or 43 would feel a little easier in that regard. Although. I guess the 45 works out better long term when you are at speed.

Hopefully those kool stops do the trick. Weird thing is I used these same cheap pads on a Fuji Royale with sidepull brakes and they worked fine. Can side vs center make that much of a difference in how much noise the pads make?

There are a handful of dura brakes on their site. Which ones am I looking for, they all seem pretty similar aside from the black ones. These? https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Bic...0884092&sr=8-1

Last edited by polymorphself; 09-23-20 at 12:02 PM.