View Single Post
Old 03-26-21, 11:01 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
My 2020 Diverge Elite E5 is in the 58cm size. So the trail is 57mm. The tires are the ones it cam with which are Specialized RoadSports 700X35.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to drop the tire pressure a little. I've been running 60 PSI on the road and 40 PSI off road Since I didn't really notice the steering being too quick off road (the very few times I rode off road), I'm going to split the difference and try 50 PSI for road rides. I'm pretty confident I still won't have to worry about pinch flats at that pressure.

I'm also thinking about using wider bars. Right now they're 42cm. The Surly Truck Stop handlebars look pretty interesting. I would get them in 45cm. The extra rise may allow me to put on a longer stem.
So you do have a quick handling bike. You called it right. First step is measure the current tires and find out if stated width has any connection to reality. Next step is wider tires. 700x40 would give two extra mm of trail, which is a lot in middle of spectrum. Wider tires will not be slower if you get good ones. OEM tires are not much.

Longer stem and wider bars will give more leverage over the front wheel. More leverage equals quicker response, quicker handling. Could still be a good move if the bike fits better that way. Will not slow down handling.

Lower tire pressure will help. So easy to do it is worth a try. Always a good idea to try stuff.