Old 10-16-19, 10:42 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
It's a nice-looking frame, but I'm going to have to agree with the others. People looking in the $150 or less range would expect a kickstand on the bike. Collectors and classic bike riders in the $2-300 on up range don't expect a kickstand on the bike. In fact, most of them would shy away expecting to find heavy scratching and potential denting/crimping of the thin tubes underneath the kickstand. I get why it's there, but I think it's going to hurt the value of the bike. Or maybe, just show drive-side pictures of the bike in your ad (where the kickstand isn't so obvious) and bring a wrench with you and expect to take it off if a potential customer wants to check underneath.

I'm intrigued by the cable housing running to the FD. Is there a stop on the FD? Is that just to make the run under the BB shell smoother because there's no routing under there?
Thanks. Again, I appreciate the opinion, but don't agree. I've already had multiple >$200 offers, so interest isn't limited to the "$150 or less range". It is a small frame which means I will need the right person and maybe take less than a standard frame. Patience is necessary for this sale. I'm in no hurry.

Yes, the cable housing is to protect the frame where Fuji had raw cable running over the BB. That's much more of a danger to the frame than a kickstand, since the cable saws back and forth there under tension. Maybe someone should tell that to the collectors and classic bike riders. Good to know.

Honestly, I've sold dozens of bikes with and without kickstands. Never has a person wanted the kickstand removed to see what was under it, even with the more valuable bikes. Only one person even flipped the bike over to examine the bottom of the frame. I would look, but I'm just telling you what happened. Personally, I would much prefer scratching from a kickstand under the bike to scratching on the forks, tubes, and chainstays from NOT having a kickstand. I guess that's a matter of taste. Either way, $50 bucks more or less is no big deal to me. I paid peanuts for it. At $100 I'm way ahead.

Last edited by kross57; 10-16-19 at 10:52 AM.