Old 03-29-19, 09:50 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
i did rebuild my rear wheel, so that might be a clue. Can you explain what do you mean by pulling, pushing and "yeet"ing ? I have followed instructions in Jobst Brand's Bicycle Wheel and my spokes are very tight, especially those on the derailleur side (actually, i'm afraid they might be even too tight)
“With a rear wheel, as torque loosens one and tightens the other spoke of a laced pair -- interference between spokes and the rear derailer may occur. With the trailing spoke on the outside, pedaling pulls the spoke pair to the inside. But note, if the wheel also has a hub brake, that will pull the spoke pair to the outside, and the only way to avoid problems it to provide enough clearance so interference cannot occur.”

Which spokes did you use? If you used decent name-brand spokes, and you don’t weigh a ton, this really shouldn’t be an issue.

The general concept is that when you accelerate, you load the spokes with torque. This causes the spokes to flex towards the derailleur. The amount that it flexes by is determined by the construction of the spoke.