Old 10-02-07, 11:00 AM
Road_Biker
Goggles & Doo-rag ready!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am a BD shill. My Winsor Tourist (54cm) has the same dimensions as a Fuji Touring bike (the Windsor web site dimensions are off). I didn't have to travel 50 miles to buy one, or have someone try to talk me out of buying a touring bike either. I expect had I wanted to return the bike, it would have been less difficult overall than going back to a LBS.

Not to say that every LBS is a pain to deal with. I frequent a couple that are really pleasant. They don't sell Trek or Fuji or Cannondale though. Those LBS are more difficult to deal with. I like to think getting involved in some group rides through a club or other organization might make dealing with those LBS who sell Trek's, Cannondale's, and Fuji's easier.

I was going to spend $1k on a Trek 1500, but the LBS guy that I talked with says, "oh yea, you need to make an appointment. Bring your exercise clothes and we'll fit you." This was after trying to steer me towards another bike. Not in my lifetime, were my thoughts. I expect everyone is different and has different expectation.

No, a Windsor tourist won't have the resale value of a Trek, or Cannondale, or Fuji. There is no snob appeal, either. I know that and hope others recognize that as well. But, after a Brooks B17 seat, Continental Contact tires, fenders, Cateye wireless computer, Sigman HRM, Cateye halogen headlight (w/Sears LED), Sunlite LED taillight, and Topeak Road Morph-G, the price was less than a Fuji touring. Plus, it arrived at my door (although I did have to sign for it which was a pain).

I looked around last year for a road bike and actually considered going to DC (~360 mi) to see one. While buying the BD Windsor Tourist was a risk knowing nothing about the company, the bike has exceeded my expectations. BD also clued me into the Parks MTB-3 tool at a discount. Bikes direct is a good mail order bicycle company.