Old 08-25-15, 09:11 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
I prefer to have the indicators, as it's allows a very quick glance to see where I'm at, so that I don't have to constantly track what gear I'm in. I can spend more time enjoying where I'm at than thinking about the bike. Also if I'm in traffic, or on a fast downhill then it is safer than looking at my gears.

So to carry forward the logic of those that get pissy about indicators, having the indicators is no different than having a cyclcomputer/GPS telling you your speed, or how far you have gone. Your still going as fast as you are going, and where you are in your route. Why do you need to know cadence, either speed up, stay the same, or slow down. After much riding, then why do you need those? Can't you tell your cadence from just looking down, or how it feels? Or power meters? You pedal as hard as you pedal... pedal harder and/or faster = faster hill climb/bike ride.

Point is, personal preferences and if someone else wants them or not, doesn't matter.
?? I don't see anyone getting "pissy" about this trivial topic. The only hyperbole I can see is in the Colonel's original post: to his "amazement" some cyclists don't care about gear indicators, and he wonders what possible "defense" one could have for disregarding a device he apparently finds useful. I and others have answered that question.