reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rsanchezsaez
Thanks again for the info.

I've been giving it more thought, and I'm considering just doubling my budget and getting a nice Brompton, I think I won't regret it, and those look absolutely stunning.

I've also asked for advice on an acquaintance bike-lover which rides and repairs expensive bikes, but he's very much against foldables:

"As a cyclist I have a bias towards "real" bikes from folding bikes, (...) The only time I suggest a folding bike to someone is if they have to take it on public transit. Otherwise normal bikes are much nicer and easier to ride. Don't let visual intimidation put you in a difficult situation.

(...)

I highly suggest test riding normal bikes and folding bikes before you drop any significant money on one.

(...)

The issue you will run into with a folding bike is that they are much heavier than normal bikes and do not handle as well as normal bikes, even compared to low end bikes. If you never use the folding aspect you will have a nicer, easier ride on a $150 normal bike than a $500 folding bike."

That's a bit discouraging, but I'm very stubborn and I cannot get foldable bikes our of my mind. Thoughts?
Yeah cry once and get the Brompton. I've owned folders for decades, but got my first Brompton last year and it's been a revelation - I just keep discovering more things that I can do, and places I can take it, over my other folders. If I could only keep one bike, this is it by a good margin. I've got mine tuned/rigged to ride as nicely/comfortably (w/air pressure tip the scale either way) as my equally expensive 700x32 gravel bike (on road) and I alternate between these two for exercise rides. Traveling, sightseeing, touring, utility, commuting, etc. - always prefer the Brompton (clicky)

Handling is subjective, after riding the B, my gravel bike feels like a truck. Weight? a 5lb lock on my gravel bike would equalize the two, yet still isn't half as safe as wheeling my B inside (you live in LA? make that a tenth as safe ). Equivalently outfit (i.e. bike lock on gravel bike) my pace is ~2-3% (<0.5mph) slower on the B by cycle computer or GPS - that's less than 10mins on a 50mile tour day... well worth all the awesome folded options.