Old 07-11-17, 05:14 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Personally, I am not convinced a test ride will mean much....
I disagree. When I demo a bike for someone - no matter what type of bike it is - I'm asking them questions that help them zero in on whether the bike will suit their needs and whether it fits them well. I think most folks are able to determine within a few minutes into a test ride whether a bike is a potential candidate. Before the test ride, I ask them to consider questions like:

---Does the gearing match your intended usage?

---Is the reach to the handlebars too far, too close (what I like to call "cramped in the cockpit"), or just right?

---Is the saddle comfortable? If it isn't, what would you prefer as far as comfort?

---Is it easy to mount and dismount the bike?

---Are the controls (brake lever & shifters) easy to use and intuitive?

---Are the brake levers easy to modulate? And for smaller folks, are the brake levers too far from the handlebar and would you prefer a shorter reach?

---Do the pedals work with whatever shoes you have on now, or would you prefer a different type of pedal?

---Is the bike easy to steer and brake?

---Is the riding position comfortable? If you prefer an upright riding position, does it meet your needs? If you prefer a riding position more forward/hunched over the bars, does it meet your needs?

In addition, if I'm showing two bikes in the same size but different models/makes, I will go over both, then say something like: "I've ridden these two bikes, and I have an opinion about how each one rides. They do ride differently, but I don't want to prejudice your test rides with my opinion, so what I'd like you to do is compare the ride on each and see what you think, and we'll compare notes afterward."

So the person test riding is guided into the fact that the ride is indeed different, and it's up to that person to determine how the ride differs on each. Without fail, the person who is test riding is indeed able to tell differences in ride quality, even if they've never paid attention to this before. All they needed is prompting to the fact and paying close attention to what's happening as they actually ride each. This dispels the notion that all bikes ride about the same, because as we know, they don't.

When it comes to test riding bikes, I think most people are more perceptive that you give them credit for. All they need is a little direction, and they're off and running.