Old 02-17-18, 01:12 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Foldy313
Be confident. Be observant. Act like you know where you are and where you are going. And keep your emotions in check.

For example, if you are riding along and find yourself going down a street where many homes are burned out and abandoned and start to fear for your safety, don't stop and stare with your mouth hanging open. Don't point and joke with your friend about the kind of people who must be living there. Don't break into your fastest sprint without knowing where you're going. Calmly backtrack and find another route.

And if a car full of people comes along and they call you names, just keep pedaling. Don't call them names back or give them the finger. Ignore and avoid, don't escalate.

The closest call I've had in five years in Detroit was another cyclist riding up to me and baring his teeth and growling like an animal. It was so unusual the first time it took me by surprise. I just figured he was off his meds and didn't say or do anything. The second time got my hackles up, and I thought he might attack me. I told myself if he does it again, I'm going to confront him. That was a bad idea. You can't argue with crazy. Things could have gotten physical and who knows?

Fortunately, he didn't do it again, and I rode away like I should have done in the first place. And that's when I started reading up on situational awareness and safety.
Thanks for the sound advice. A bike is actually a pretty safe way to go, compared to walking or even driving a car.

I grew up in Detroit, Highland Park actually. I was carfree much of the time. My first real job was right downtown on Adams St. I got out after midnight, then took the Woodward bus home to H.P. There were a couple times I was a little scared, but I handled myself well and nothing happened.

The bike situation in Detroit generally sounds pretty good, with the Slow Rides and all. I think about moving back there when I retire in a few years.

"Think Outside the Cage"