Old 10-26-18, 02:15 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Zipp 900 axle clearance

People, I need some serious gearhead help.
Backstory- I've always had some issues with my Zipp 900 disc. Right out of the box, the spacer between the bearings seemed too small, so that putting the correct torque (6ftlbs?) on the axle locknuts caused the bearings to over-preload. So right away, I had some notchy bearings, and had to get around the preload issue by using blue lock tight and tightening the locknuts so that the play was *just* taken out.
Anyhow, that didn't keep my drive side bearing from self destructing during a kilo this year. Thankfully in the first half-lap, so I got a restart (and still finished 2nd). After returning home, I had the bearings replaced, but since then there is radial play between the axle and the bearing inner race, noticeable play that should NOT be there. I tried talking to Zipp warranty, but no dice. I've been talking to the machine shop attached to my university here, but it's looking more and more that the only way to remedy this is a full re-fabrication of the entire axle assembly, which I'd like to avoid.
So I need a favor: Is there anyone out there who owns a Zipp 900 AND a micrometer/caliper? The inner dimension of the 81602 bearing is 15mm, and my axle is measuring 14.90mm, at the bearing seat and along the whole axle surface. Is there someone who could measure their axle at the bearing seat areas and give me a number?
It's a long shot, but thank you in advance if anyone can do this!

Last edited by Baby Puke; 10-26-18 at 03:24 AM.