Old 10-21-20, 02:21 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Hard to say from here. I can imagine that it might be crushed badly enough to not be fixable by rolling
Yeah I'm going in for a closer look. For €30 it's a fun look at a bike like this and will show me what to look for in another example. And who knows, I might be able to fix it.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have two comments- First is that I don't think this damage is of any great concern, as long as that child seat is removed. (As in the loading that wasn't designed into the frame is stopped). Sure a repair could be tried, rolling the tube in blocks likely will reduce the ovalness. But paint damage and a less then fully round result is to be expected.

Second is this is one more reason to dislike this type of child carrier. IMO this position is akin to having you child sit in front of you when in a car... Andy

Extra credit- That seat's clamp is a great example of how cheap a product can be made.
From what I understand the big advantage of a seat like this is that you can carry older children in the middle of the frame. Once they get too big (6-8 years) a rear or front carrier won't work anymore.
But there's a reason why they are not that common anymore nowadays.

First thing I plan to do is remove the seat and assess the damage. Chances are the paint is already damaged by the carrier. Those frame blocks aren't terribly expensive fortunately. If it can be fixed I plan on making it a rider, not a museum piece. Besides, I don't care too much for the original paint here, even if it was pristine. It's on the wrong side of 90's gaudiness for me.