View Single Post
Old 03-18-24, 12:57 PM
C.I.

Bikes: Old Japanese Road Bikes (C-Itoh; Kabuki) with some upgrade (Italian & Japanese parts)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by steph746
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to start biking to work on a more regular basis now and I think I need to invest in a new bike. I currently have a Specialized "Hard Rock" that has gotten the job done and I'm very attached to.

It's probably about 25 years old. The main work I had done on it was new gears and brake pads, tires, etc.

My commute is about 6 miles each way with some hills. I'm not a serious biker, but would like to get more serious about my commute. I'm not looking for a flashy biike, but would like something solid and not too heavy.

The reason I'm looking for a new bike now is that my rear tire went flat. I brought it in to the shop and we're probably looking at about $100-$120 for a new tire and some brakes and a new chain.

Only about a year ago I had to replace the rear inner tube. The bike shop said that I probably should get a commuter tire on the rear if I decided to repair the bike.

So, my question is, what would all of you do?

One other question I have is the style of bike. I'm 52 years old and am thinking of getting a bike that is more upright. What do you think of that type of model?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have...
You can find a very good bike in your area via Craigslist, in store Play Again, Goodwill, etc. I used old road bike from 70ty with some upgrade (pedals, saddle, etc.) .