phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
With all of the n00b intervals.icu training talk, it's probably worthwhile to have a little primer on Load, which is the building block of much of what we're talking about.

Load for a given workout is intensity (how hard you worked) x time (how long you worked out, in hours) x 100 (because decimal points suck and bigger numbers are betterer numbers)

Intensity is how hard you workout as a percentage of how hard you can work out. So if my FTP is 250w and I have an average of 200w for a workout, my intensity is 80% or 0.80. If my workout was one hour long, the load would be 80 (.8 x 1 hour x 100). If my workout was 90 minutes, the load would be 120 (.8 x 1.5 hours x 100).

All of the Fitness, Fatigue, Form, etc is based off of Load.

Fitness is based off of a weighted average daily load over ~6 weeks. If your current Fitness is 50 and you want it to go up, you need to up your average daily load, so doing 45 mins at 85% four days a week isn't going to do it (that would roughly be an average daily load of 36)

Fatigue is similar, but it's a weighted 7 day average (basically, fitness builds/decays more slowly, whereas fatigue builds/recovers more quickly).

Form is a comparison of your Fitness and Fatigue. It's a good shorthand way of telling if you're overtraining, undertraining, etc. You're undertraining if your Fatigue is a lot lower than your Fitness. You might be in danger of overtraining if your Fatigue is too much higher than your Fitness. It might be a good idea to taper to someplace in between if you have an event coming up, etc.

Hope this helps.
you lost me at n00b...

Kidding. I’ve been pretty consistent with 3x 1 hour, 1x1.5 and 1x2 over the past few weeks, I guess it’s climbing fine, but even with more time, my weekly load is lower than during the summer. It’s probably beneficial to have more structure, just frustrating at the surface.

I probably just need to HTFU and up the intensity
Likes For phrantic09: