View Single Post
Old 11-17-10, 09:00 PM
coldfeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hobkirk
Good page. Thanks. Is your terrain pretty flat? It seems it would be quite difficult riding in my area with just 3 gears - or are the gears widely spaced? [I haven't ridden an internal 3 speed in over 50 years.]
These days you can get Internal Hub gears in 5,6,7,8,or 11 speeds. Even 14 if you have lots of cash, and feel like buying a hub that will outlast you.
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Done.

I fall more in the winter when I am off, or getting off my bike.
Last Winter I had a bad fall, I stepped off the bus, and 3 seconds later I was trying to figure out how to turn over to get the cell phone out to call for an ambulance. I didn't need one in the end, but spent the next day with a walking stick.

Very good stuff on your site. I think that chainguards can add to chain life, and reduce maintenance demands, also a comment to the effect that your own particular preparations should take account of the type of Winter you will experience. Here in Calgary our situation is similar, if not as cold as you, but road conditions can be a lot sloppier and grittier, due to Chinooks and the city's attitude to snow removal.