View Single Post
Old 05-06-17, 07:49 AM
Fluteman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
There really is only one option (NC Highway 12) for riding most of the Outer Banks. I would only attempt it during spring or fall, due to traffic in the summer months. However, weather can be a huge factor in riding on the Outer Banks and I wouldn't go unless the weather looked favorable. I had planned a 350-mile loaded loop tour of the Outer Banks and inner NC coast a few years ago in the fall, but Congress chose that time to shut down the federal government and I had to cancel the trip. Not many options for camping if the National Park campgrounds are closed and staying in hotels was too expensive for a solo trip.
Sorry you missed your 350, that would have been nice. I may try something (if solo) if the traffic is too bad..that is riding the beachside. Two things need to happen for that to become a reality, one is the tires, that they would have to be wide (I ride 29er) and run at low pressure. Second, it would have to be low tide to ride on hard sand. The bike would need to be pushed through the soft sand to get to the hard stuff by the ocean. I am mostly worried about the sand and salt getting on my bike more than anything.