View Single Post
Old 08-20-14, 10:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by mibike
With bar ends the front shifting is friction. With Campy the front is micro clicks so it's almost like friction that won't slip. With either system all you need to do is set the high and low limits no cable adjustment needed. I have used bar ends and have them on my touring bike. I now use Campy and have them on my singles, tandems and triplet. They both have good shifting front and rear. I have tried STI and was never happy with the front shifting. I think STI front shifting is one of the reasons a lot of riders don't like triple cranks.
That last sentence is telling! This brings new light to the market shift from triples to compact doubles (that I first saw back in 1973 on Gitane touring bikes...). So because the Shimano choice to use Indexed front shifter designs is why triples are becoming extinct? I will discuss this with my coworkers again. Andy.